Authors sometimes have to conduct interviews to get more information for their novels. However, before bombarding someone with questions, there are a few tips to remember.
- Inform the interviewee that you are conducting research for your novel.
- Show up on time for the interview.
- Be prepared with specific questions.
- If there is a question the interviewee does not want to answer, do not press the issue.
- However, if the person enjoys telling stories, sit back and listen.
- If the interviewee goes off topic or you do not have the time to hear a life story, politely steer the interview back to the specific question you asked.
- If you want to record the interview, ask before pulling out any recording device.
- After the interview, thank the interviewee for speaking with you and follow up with a thank you letter or token of appreciation.